How to reduce latency on directsoundsink?

tanmay.ambre ambre.tanmay at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 03:20:53 PDT 2012

I am playing rtp live stream using directsoundsink to play the audio.

My pipeline is udpsrc-->rtpspeexdepay-->speexdec-->directsoundsink.

I use GstQuery to find the latency in pipeline.

	GstQuery* q =NULL;
	gboolean live;
	GstClockTime minLat, maxLat;
	q=gst_query_new_latency();
	if (gst_element_query(directsoundsink,q))
	{
		gst_query_parse_latency(q,&live,&minLat,&maxLat);
	}
	gst_query_unref(q);

My results were that directsoundsink always shows min latency 210000000
nanoseconds = 0.21 sec delay
I tried lowering the latency paramenter from directsoundsink to no avail.

My question is how do I reduce the latency for the pipeline?

Looking at latency for other elements it always sows 0 min and a huge number
for max.

So my best guess is directsoundsink is the culprit.

Any help appreciated.

Tanmay