building/installing libmpeg2 for the ugly plugins

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Mon Jul 9 09:56:25 PDT 2012

Thank you for the help, but I still haven't been able to resolve the
issues. Using RPMForge I downloaded and installed libmpeg2. The command:
yum info libmpeg2-0.5.1-2.el5.rf.x86_64 shows that it is installed. Also,
the so's are in /usr/lib64. Basically the same is also true for x264. Yet
configure still is not able to find either library. I tried to install both
the ugly and bad plug-ins from the RPMForge site but they both seem to
require conflicting versions of libmodplug (libmodplug.so.0 and
libmodplug.so.1), so that wasn't successful either. I have looked (many
times) at the configure script but can't understand why it 'decides'
(around line 25921) that these libraries aren't available.

Here is the configure output for mpeg2dec. The output for x264 is
essentially the same.

configure: *** checking feature: mpeg2dec ***
configure: *** for plug-ins: mpeg2dec ***
checking for MPEG2DEC... no
configure: No package 'libmpeg2' found
configure: *** These plugins will not be built: mpeg2dec

I did try adding --enable-mpeg2dec=yes and --enable-x264=yes to the command
line but that didn't make any difference.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck