pros and cons of C++ vs Python - opinions please

Loren Rogers loren.rogers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:04:23 PDT 2012

Greetings Chuck,
I think the obvious difference is that C++ compiles to native and with
python you'd need to install some levels for language interpretation.
And I'm a proponent for sticking with what you know.
/Loren

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Chuck Crisler <ccrisler at mutualink.net> wrote:
> I will soon be developing a gstreamer replacement for a VLC application. I
> have been a C++ programmer for over 20 years, working with gstreamer for the
> last 2. I could almost build the code (OK, I would have to research the
> plugins) in my sleep. But there is this new thing (not really, but somewhat)
> called Python that works with gstreamer. The application that I will develop
> is stand-alone in the sense that it is invoked from a different application.
> What are the relative merits of using Python vs. C++? Currently, no one in
> our shop does Python so this would be the first app. I can't say if it would
> ever be the only app. Thank you for different opinions. Chuck Crisler

"Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that
never were and say why not?" - GBS