Gstreamer-VAAPI and Totem

Alessandro Crismani alessandro.crismani at ieee.org
Tue Jun 5 06:29:27 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to get hardware accelerated playback using Totem together
with gstreamer-vaaapi and an Intel HD3000 SNB card (the CPU is a i5 2520).

The gstreamer-vaapi is compiled from its master git branch as of today,
other gstreamer libraries are listed at the end of the mail.

I am trying to watch a mkv file, and if I open it using
-> GST_DEBUG=vaapi:5,vaapidecode:5 gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin2
uri=file:///data/Video/file.mkv
I see a lot of VAAPI debug output and the CPU usage remains quite low.
(In fact, if I remove the gstreamer-vaapi package, the debug output goes
away and the CPU usage increases, which means it probably works as
expected when gstreamer-vaapi is installed)

However, when I open it with Totem, the CPU rockets to sky levels :(
As far as I understood, Totem should pick the gstreamer playbin2 and
automagically use VAAPI, however it seems to fail on me. I have tried
getting debug using:
-> totem --gst-debug-help
but I do not see anything VAAPI related (only VDPAU there). How can I
see if Totem is using any VAAPI based decoding?

I am sorry if I am missing information or if this mail contains stupid
questions, but I am very new to VAAPI things and I do not have a clue on
how to report this. If you point me in the right direction, I'll follow
up with as many information as requested :)

I'd love to thank you for any feedback.

Cheers,
Alessandro

-> Anything that has to do with Gstreamer on my systems
local/clutter-gst 1.5.6-1
     GStreamer bindings for clutter
local/gnome-video-effects 0.4.0-1
     A collection of GStreamer effects
local/gstreamer-vaapi-git 20120605-1
     collection of VA-API based plugins for GStreamer and helper libraries
local/gstreamer0.10 0.10.36-1
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework
local/gstreamer0.10-bad 0.10.23-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Bad Plugin libraries (gst-plugins-bad)
local/gstreamer0.10-bad-plugins 0.10.23-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Bad Plugins (gst-plugins-bad)
local/gstreamer0.10-base 0.10.36-1
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Base plugin libraries
local/gstreamer0.10-base-plugins 0.10.36-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Base Plugins (gst-plugins-base)
local/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.13-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
     Gstreamer FFMpeg Plugin
local/gstreamer0.10-good 0.10.31-1
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Good plugin libraries
local/gstreamer0.10-good-plugins 0.10.31-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Good Plugins (gst-plugins-good)
local/gstreamer0.10-ugly 0.10.19-1
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Ugly plugin libraries
local/gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins 0.10.19-1 (gstreamer0.10-plugins)
     GStreamer Multimedia Framework Ugly Plugins (gst-plugins-ugly)
local/totem 3.4.2-2 (gnome-extra)
     A GNOME3 integrated movie player based on Gstreamer.