Gstreamer-VAAPI and Totem

Alessandro Crismani alessandro.crismani at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 13:13:48 PDT 2012

Dear Holger,

Let me thank you for the kind feedback! Other questions are inline

Il 05/06/2012 21:33, Holger Kaelberer ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> On 06/05/2012 07:55 PM, Alessandro Crismani wrote:
>> > The problem is that Totem is using the videobalance element, which is a
>> > pure software element. Using software element prevent using hardware
>> > acceleration like libva or VDPAU.
>
> Hm, works for me with:
> gconftool-2 -s /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/videosink vaapisink
> --type=string
>
> I aggree though, that the resulting pipeline looks strange: there are
> some software-only elements (like ffmpegcolorspace) added to the pipe
> but obviously not used.

Tried it, unfortunately the CPU usage with Totem is still far higher
than the simple gst-launch-0.10 playbin2 uri=file:///xyz.mkv (60% versus
around 10% as seen by top).

Furthermore, if I open gstreamer-properties and "test" the default sink
(which is now vaapisink), I get an error saying something as "cannot
link ffmpegcsp2 to vaapisink2"

>> As a second thought, do you happen to know if there are gstreamer
>> based video players that are
>> capable of using VAAPI as of today?
>
> You can also try snappy (git://git.gnome.org/snappy), works nicely
> together with clustter-gst (and gst-vaapi) out-of-the-box ;-)

Tried it, it sure looks awesome, however the CPU usage stays high :(

Am I missing some other bits? Can I print more (VAAPI) debug information
with a magic debug command line parameter?

Thanks a lot anyway for the welcomed suggestions,
Alessandro