Gstreamer-VAAPI and Totem

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Tue Jun 12 11:37:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 13:41 -0400, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le mercredi 06 juin 2012 à 18:30 +0100, Bastien Nocera a écrit :
> > > Bastien, any input where I can follow the issue? Even better, any chance
> > > of seeing Totem working with VA-API backported to 3.4 so that I don't
> > > have to get all the 3.5.* libraries? :)
> >
> > Totem 3.5 makes use of autocluttersink, which rely on bug fixes in
> > clutter-gst. If you update those two, it might be enough.
>
> autocluttersink has never been tested along with gstreamer-vaapi (this
> arrived after my work). Instead of wrapping an X windows into a some DRI
> pixbuf, cluttersink (not autocluttersink) uses an new API in gstreamer
> that let it use the GstBuffer as textures that are directly rendered
> into the clutter scene.
>
> I do think this approach is more efficient then the autocluttersink one,
> and that fluendo could have implemented the GstVideoBuffer interface for
> the VA buffer rather then using this. It's a bit of a design war, my
> apology if this creates flames.

Thinking about it some more. Is there any reason why gstreamer-vaapi
wouldn't work with Totem 3.4 or 3.6?

In 3.4, we just use cluttersink. Does gstreamer-vaapi work with
cluttersink?

In 3.6, we use autocluttersink. Surely, if Fluendo's VAAPI
flucluttersink isn't available, it should just fallback to the same
situation as in 3.4, right?

In my testing, Totem just exploded when gstreamer-vaapi was installed. I
can certainly file a bug, but I'd like to know what's expected of it
beforehand.

Cheers