Recompile Speex enc for CPU usage reduction on muting microphone

tanmay.ambre ambre.tanmay at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 06:16:00 PDT 2012

Hi.
I am using libgstspeex library and encoder to build a gtsreamer application

I found that all my intel Pentium 4 machines consume 15-50 % CPU when I use
speex. Same when I use AAC or any other encoder the CPU consumption is
stable at 0-5 %.

After searching through various posts I found a post (
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.compression.speex.devel/6296 )
from 2009 which states similar observation to mine.

It states that I need to build the speex library for fixed point operation
rather than floating point operations for some intel processors.

Has any one else experienced similar problem or is there a straight forward
solution.

I tried compiling for FIXED POINT and VBR off but the plugin started to
crash.

Tanmay