Creating elements for the first time takes ages

Ralph ralph.gucwa at racelogic.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 07:36:24 PDT 2012

I wrote a WPF application using OSSBuild and C# bindings.
I notice that creating GStreamer elements for the first time using
ElementFactory take ages.
Creating the following set of elements for the first time takes 9 seconds on
a very fast machine:
- pipeline
- gnlcomposition
- gnlsource
- gnlfilesource
- audiotestsrc
- videotestsrc
Creating the same set for the second time takes just 120ms - that's
absolutely fine.

All elements are created the same way:
Gst.Element element = Gst.ElementFactory.Make("elementtype");

I understand that creating an element for the first time requires finding
the appropriate assembly, discovering some stuff and instantiating a few
objects, but it should not be that slow!  The users of my application are
complaining about the initialization time.

Is there any way of speeding up element creation?