Creating elements for the first time takes ages

Bruno Gonzalez stenyak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 23:40:21 PDT 2012

I have also experienced the same. You can try several solutions:
 - Parallelize the creation of each pipeline element as much as possible
(but be careful to profile this! If the slowdown is e.g. due to disk I/O,
paralellizing probably won't be of any help)
 - Create a dummy pipeline just once (with all the required elements). This
way, you force the load of its DLLs at the beginning of the program, and
then each consequent pipeline creation is much faster.
 - Use a pool of pipelines ready to be configured and used (in my case 16,
which is the largest amount of pipelines I'm having on screen at any given
time). The pool is refilled with low priority so as not to disturb any
other operation.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM, David  Hoyt <dhoyt at guidewire.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure how those bindings work, but I'm going to say they are
dynamically generated (i.e. at runtime), and you've it the place where it
generates the bindings.

> I would advocate a shift to using the official gstreamer SDK. The
provided build is a little more up-to-date. However, I don't believe the
.NET bindings are provided...

> Have you tried to build a similar pipeline using gst-launch? If so, how
quickly does that work? It would help to isolate if it's the .NET or the C
side of the house. Sometimes the initial call can take longer as the
gstreamer registry is built.

Saludos,
     Bruno González