Suitability of using 0.11.x in a new project

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 05:25:51 PDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 12:50 -0400, Jim Hodapp wrote:

Hi Jim,

> I'm wondering if anybody very familiar with the state of the 0.11.x
> development series can speak to whether it is suitable for use in a
> new project as of right now? My project's application is like a set
> top box and so will need to utilize MPEG-TS demuxing as well as
> elementary stream decoding and rendering. The other scenarios are
> local file playback and potentially some playback from a VOD server
> via UDP, HTTP, etc.
>
> Is it best to stay with the stable 0.10.x branch or is it mostly safe
> to move up to 0.11.x today?
>
> If my project stays with 0.10.x, would porting to 0.11.x (1.0) include
> many differences in the core GStreamer API; how about the use of the
> same or similar pipeline elements?

The application-facing API is not hugely different, most of the more
intrusive changes that have been made in 0.11 affect plugin API.

It all depends a bit on your target audience and timeline of course, but
I would strongly recommend you start right away with 0.11.x.

You will likely run into some issues whether you use 0.10 or 0.11.

But the momentum is with 0.11. If you run into problems with 0.11, you
have a much greater chance that someone will care to look into it and
fix it, and that the fix will end up in a release. Fixes that happen in
0.11 may or may not get backported to 0.10.

 Cheers
  -Tim