Tips for RTP/H264 over lossy links?

arsenix arsenix.accounts at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:33:44 PST 2012

  I am working on a project to receive an RTP/H264 stream over a lossy
(radio) link.  We are using a hardware encoder on the send side using
multicast RTP, and gstreamer on the decode end.  The reception works just
fine but we periodically get periods of loss and our gstreamer stops
receiving and does not recover.  Are there any options to force gstreamer to
keep trying to decode even during drops?  Ideally I'd like it to just stay
up indefinitely waiting for the multicast packets... decoding them when they
arrive and not complaining if there are periods of loss or errors.

   This is the pipeline we are using (no jitter buffer to reduce latency):
udpsrc multicast-group=X.X.X.X auto-multicast=true port=XXX
caps='application/x-rtp, media=(string)video, (other caps redacted) !
rtph264depay ! ffdec_h264 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink

   Any tips greatly appreciated!

James