Need some help on Direct3D video sink, please

Matteo Pampolini matteo.pampolini at selexelsag.com
Mon Mar 19 09:57:44 PDT 2012

Hi everybody,

as a good practice I prefer to share as much information as possible,
that's why I'm writing here for a question mainly directed to
Tim-Phillip, at least I guess...

We are developing a video-surveillance Windows application based on
GStreamer where we can have multiple windows each with many videos
inside it, for a total of tenth of simultaneously running videos. After
many performance tests we came to Direct3D  video sink before it was
officially released (we started from Git development version) and we are
very satisfied with it, though we noticed a very poor behavior when as
an example we rescale the multiple videos window, graphics are so slow
that they are quite unusable for a long time.

After many tests we found out that simply avoiding the registration of
WndProcHook function fixes most of our issues, graphics is very
responsive and everything is fine, no particular feature (at least for
what we need) is missing. Moreover Direct3D swap chain is correctly
managed even if gst_d3dvideosink_refresh is not directly called.

May you please explain us the reason for this implementation? We did not
find anything similar for example in VLC Direct3D video output module.

Many thanks in advance for your kind support,

Matteo