GStreamer 0.11 status 5

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 14:03:30 PDT 2012

On Do, 2012-03-22 at 20:42 +0000, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 16:47 +0100, Wim Taymans wrote:
>
> > I'll be turning this version (+ some fixes likely) into 1.0 very soon
> > now (I'm thinking 1 week) and then we can finally celebrate!
>
> Sorry, but I think this timeframe is simply nuts.
>
> 0.11 is barely ready for an alpha release IMHO. There is some stuff
> that's unfinished, and there hasn't been any serious stabilisation phase
> using applications to speak of.
>
> It would be much better to start doing weekly pre-releases or something,
> for at least 4-8 weeks. In that time make sure that at least totem,
> rhythmbox, cheese, empathy and transmageddon are ported and enabled by
> default in GNOME's jhbuild, or at least with real people using it for
> real stuff and filing bugs. Then once that kinda mostly works, do 1.0.

Completely agreed, there must be some kind of stabilization phase in
which people are actually trying the new stuff.

Up until now we told everybody to not even *try* 0.11 unless they really
knew what they're doing. Doing release candidates and telling people
that now is a good time to use 0.11 should really be done. Switching
from really-unstable-and-work-in-progress to stable-and-use-it-now
immediately is too fast.

But I completely agree that this should happen now and really fast...
and that we should switch all development from 0.10 to 0.11 at that
point, replace GIT master with 0.11, switch 0.10 into maintenance mode,
etc.