rtsp and slow computers

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Mar 27 07:52:53 PDT 2012

I'm trying to build an rtsp server on my embedded device.  Currently,
I'm just running the sample program "test-launch" like this:
   $ ./examples/.libs/test-launch '( videotestsrc ! x264enc ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )'

When I try to play this stream over the network on my workstation, I
get these errors:

   $ gst-launch playbin2 uri=rtsp://192.168.1.197:8554/test
   Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
   Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
   Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
   New clock: GstSystemClock
   WARNING: from element /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstPlaySink:playsink0/GstBin:vbin/GstAutoVideoSink:videosink/GstXvImageSink:videosink-actual-sink-xvimage: A lot of buffers are
being dropped.
   Additional debug info:
   gstbasesink.c(2866): gst_base_sink_is_too_late (): /GstPlayBin2:playbin20/GstPlaySink:playsink0/GstBin:vbin/GstAutoVideoSink:videosink/GstXvImageSink:videosink-actual-sink-xvimage:
   There may be a timestamping problem, or this computer is too slow.

If I try running the server on a fast workstation, I don't get these
errors, so it's definitely happening because of my embedded device.

My server is running on a small, not terribly fast, embedded system
and I think the 'x264enc' is using up a lot of time.  How can I match
the capabilities of my server to the available cpu bandwidth?  In the
future, I'm going to need to also match network bandwidth - how is
that done as well?

Thanks for any pointers