Bandwidth limiting

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Mar 29 04:56:44 PDT 2012

I'm running the rtsp server and I will probably need to adjust
how much bandwidth it needs, perhaps even dynamically.  So far,
I have this pipeline:

v4l2src device=/dev/video2 always-copy=FALSE queue-size=16 decimate=2 \
! video/x-raw-yuv,format=(fourcc)UYVY,width=720,height=480,framerate=30/1 \
! videoscale \
! video/x-raw-yuv,width=360,height=240 \
! videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv,framerate=5/1 \
! ffmpegcolorspace \
! video/x-raw-yuv,format=(fourcc)I420 \
! cairotimeoverlay \
! cairotextoverlay text=$HOSTNAME deltax=50 \
! ffenc_mpeg4 \
! rtpmp4vpay name=pay0 pt=96

This setup is using around 35KB/s of bandwidth.  Interestingly,
the bandwidth is virtually unchanged if I remove the videorate
element?

Any ideas what I can do about this?  Are there things I can
do on-the-fly (and how)?

Thanks

BTW, I find the whole gstreamer setup splendid - a very extensible
mechanism that works pretty well once you get it configured :-)