Threads with many concurrent videos

Matteo Pampolini matteo.pampolini at selexelsag.com
Tue May 15 08:54:51 PDT 2012

Hello there, this is Matteo from Italy.

We are writing a Windows application, based on GStreamer of course, that
needs to present many concurrent streams at 25fps (no audio), typically
RTP/H264 ones coming from the network. Basically everything works fine,
but we observe that for example with 25 concurrent streams, if we don't
increase max_lateness to at least half a second, there's a good chance
that many frames get dropped.

However, the overall CPU load is not so high, say around 40%, and all
the video sinks threads are capable of calling show_frame with the right
frequency (every 40ms), so we are supposing that the rest of the
pipeline (say network receiving, RTP depaying and H264 decoding) is not
capable to provide data fast enough. Since, as said CPU load is not so
high, maybe there could be a problem with threads priorities, but we
noticed that with the latest GLib g_thread_set_priority() was deprecated.

So please let me ask you two questions: do you think the cause of our
issue could be the one we suppose or not?  And if so, how could we
arrange threads priorities to fix it?

Many thanks in advance for your kind support,

Matteo

--
Write once, compile everywhere
Compile once, run somewhere...