rtpjitterbuffer and percent property

Daniel Mellado danielmelladoarea at gmail.com
Tue May 22 01:29:33 PDT 2012

Hi all!

First of all, thank for your time and knowledge.

I'm using a pipeline wichi has an rtspsrc element on it. Inside this
element, two instances of rtpjitterbuffer are created. I set the buffering
mode in the rtspsrc to Low/High Watermark buffering and then parse the
buffering messages with parse_buffering() to have access to its percentage.

The buffer value goes up to 100% and then the video starts playing. I've
tried a few things, like disconnecting the network, and I can understand
that this value doesn't get updated until it buffers again. But if I ask
directly the jitterbuffers using its percent property, they doesn't show any
change at all. They get stuck at 100% even when they are just empty.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Any clues regarding this will be
greatly apretiated.

----Code sample----

self.player=gst.parse_launch(rtspsrc name=source ! decodebin2 !
autovideosink)
bus=self.player.get_bus()
bus.connect("message", self.on_message)
self.source=self.player.get_by_name('source')
self.source.connect("element-added",self.on_element_added)
self.buffer_percent=0
self.rtpjitterbuffer0=None
self.rtpjitterbuffer1=None

//Buffer mode for rtspsrc=2, latency=4000

def on_element_added(self, gstbin, element):
    //When rtpjitterbuffers are added to rtspsrc, points them to
self.rtpjitterbuffers0 and 1

def on_message(self, bus, message)
    t=message.type
    if t == gst.MESSAGE_BUFFERING:
        self.buffer_percent=message.parse_buffering()

//I can also get buffer level info just using jitterbufferes internal
percent property like that:

print self.rtpjitterbufferX.props.percent.

However, as I said, it fills up to 100%, but never changes, even if the
playback stops due to network being stopped. ¿What am I doing wrong with
this?

Many thanks.