vp8enc waiting for EOS

David Klasinc bigwhale at lubica.net
Thu Nov 1 13:07:37 PDT 2012

On 10/28/2012 11:22 AM, dv wrote:

> I don't have a solution for you, but at least I could reproduce and
> isolate the issue more:
>
> The pipeline:
>
>    gst-launch-1.0  -e ximagesrc ! videorate ! video/x-raw,framerate=15/1
> ! videoconvert ! vp8enc ! fakesink
>
> shows the same problem. In fact, the framerate caps are not even necessary:
>
>    gst-launch-1.0  -e ximagesrc ! videorate ! videoconvert ! vp8enc !
> fakesink
>
> behaves the same.
>
> Things I have noticed:
> a) removing videorate gets rid of the delay at the end

How can I control framerate of the output video? Is there another way?
And additional question would be, why on earth is it working with x264enc?

> b) replacing ximagesrc with for example videotestsrc (and using a
> capsfilter to simulate ximagesrc sink caps) gets rid of the delay too
> c) using ximagesrc with properties endx=10 and endy=10 also gets rid of
> the delay

This is probably because there is very little data to encode and write
to disk.

Just now I tried to record a 5 minute screen capture and it took almost
three minutes to flush it to disk. This is really poor performance. :(

Regards,
David