Common Linux device drivers API fro GStreamer: trying to figure out

Ilya Arosov nowinter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 00:58:09 PST 2012

Hello all! I've got a simple question to ask: is there anything like common
interface to devices used or proposed to be used in GStreamer for
Linux-based platforms? Or is every platform using something different and
just provides a specific gst filter/bin/pipeline of its own?

By devices I mean HW-specific parts of, say, video processing: demuxing,
decoding, synchronization.. There are the drivers of these devices, but the
vendors usually provide quite specific, mostly proprietary API (sometimes
more than one set, for different application stacks). Is there such API
intended for GStreamer? Is DMAI something similar to what I try to find? Is
it used anywhere except TI's ARM devices?

--
Keep cool!