playbin2 and mpeg2 elementary stream: perfomance issue

Christophe Oosterlynck tiftof at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 01:36:56 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm getting bad performance when playing an mpeg2 elementary stream with
playbin2. Example clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cd9kxmj1ug21438/video.m2v

The pipeline used by playbin2 is similar to:
filesrc ! mpegvideoparse ! queue ! mpeg2dec ! xvimagesink

When playing with the pipeline myself, I can fix the perfomance issue in 2
ways:

1. leave out mpegvideoparse:
filesrc !  queue ! mpeg2dec ! xvimagesink

2. insert a queue before mpegvideoparse:
filesrc ! queue ! mpegvideoparse ! queue ! mpeg2dec ! xvimagesink

It seems to me that there should be a queue in front of the parse element.
Playbin2 always insert a queue between demuxing and parsing. As this is an
elementary clip, playbin2 leaves out the demuxing and the queue after it.

Should playbin2 insert a queue before parsing even if there is no demuxing
necessary? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?

GStreamer version:
base: 0.10.36
good: 0.10.31
bad: 0.10.23