How to build gstreamer ugly plugins from source

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 13:30:29 PST 2012

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:31:21 -0800
arpita banerjee <reachtoarpi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I can understand . But, if you mention the proper steps for
> ugly0.10 plugin that will be great.
> Thanks in advance.

First make sure you have appropriate source repositories in
/etc/apt/sources.list, eg by copying every line that begins deb and
changing it to deb-src, then run sudo apt-get update. Then it's a good
idea to create a new directory and cd there. Then to get the source:

$ apt-get source gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

To get all the packages necessary for building it:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
$ sudo apt-get install devscripts

cd into the unpacked source directory.

Make sure all other patches from the package are applied:

$ quilt push -a

Before making your changes:

$ quilt new patch_name

(you can use anything you like for patch_name, best make it a brief
description of what your patch does)

Add every file you're going to alter to the patch using quilt add ...,
make your changes, then when you've made all your changes:

quilt refresh

Then you should add something to the changelog explaining what you've
done, I suggest using dch -i. To build it use debuild; include -uc -us
options if you don't have a GPG key or if you didn't add your address to
the changelog.

If you need to debug your changes you probably won't want to rebuild the
entire package every time you make a change. I think you can restrict
the build to only rebuilding the parts that depend on things that have
changed with 'fakeroot ./debian/rules binary' but I'm not entirely sure
about that.