Unable to create decodebin2 GstElement

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 04:55:51 PST 2012

Hi All,

I'm stumped by a very simple issue. Somehow I'm not able to create a
decodebin2 element.

This is how I create it:

GstElement *pipeline, *source, *decoder;

/* Initialisation */
gst_init (&argc, &argv);

/* Create gstreamer elements */
pipeline = gst_pipeline_new ("av-player");
source   = gst_element_factory_make ("filesrc",     "source");
decoder  = gst_element_factory_make ("decodebin2",  "decodebin2");

if (!pipeline || !source || !decoder)  {
    g_print("pip:%p src:%p dec:%p \n", pipeline, source, decoder);
    g_printerr ("One element could not be created. Exiting.\n");
    return -1;
}

The "decoder" is always NULL!

deocdebin2 works fine when used from gst-launch app. I'm attaching a
compilable sample code which illustrates this issue. I'm compiling it
using the following cmd:

$ gcc -Wall basicgst.c -o basicgst $(pkg-config --cflags --libs gstreamer-1.0)

It must be something trivial as I've not seen anyone complain about
not being able to instantiate the decodebin2 element. Though I can't
figure out what the issue might be! :/

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks,
-mandeep