Support for keyframe-only trickmode

gimmeamilk gimmeamilkbttf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 13:56:31 PST 2012

My application needs to support keyframe-only high-speed trickmode, both
forward and reverse. So to get reasonable performance I need to ensure only
keyframes are pushed from as far upstream as possible.

I was thinking of making a "KeyframeFilter" plugin that sits just downstream
from the demuxer and, when enabled, only passes down the keyframes. (it
would check the GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT on the incoming buffers to decide
which were keyframes).

Is this a reasonable solution? I couldn't find any support for this within
the demuxers themselves (specifically qtdemux), so I suppose this is the
next best thing in terms of efficiency. Or has a better way already been
implemented?

Thanks.