How to refresh video window when no frame has been received from udpsrc

Tara.Hemphill at l-3com.com Tara.Hemphill at l-3com.com
Mon Nov 26 13:24:30 PST 2012

Gstreamer version: 0.10.35

I have a pipeline such as:  gst-launch udpsrc
uri=udp://239.255.0.1:11111 ! decodebin ! dshowvideosink ...

However, when nothing is coming in on the UDP stream, resizing the video
window causes the blank video panel to become jumbled and messed up
since there is no frame to refresh it.  I am currently setting the
window handle to a specific GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW upon receiving the
"prepare-xwindow-id" GstMessage.  I am handling the Expose events in the
GST_STATE_PAUSED state (as advised here:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-bas
e-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-gstvideooverlay.html#GstVideoOverlay),
but there is no "last frame" to redraw yet.  Is there a standard way to
work around this issue?

Thanks,

Tara Hemphill

Software Engineer