conversions using QT and DirectShow

Bjorn Roche bjorn at xowave.com
Mon Nov 26 14:17:19 PST 2012

Hey all,

	I've been playing a bit with gstreamer and was wondering if the following is possible: I would like to be able to open and convert files from a variety of formats to a variety of formats just using the "built-in" and "good" plugins. Example conversions I've been trying on OS X:

MP3 -> WAV
MOV (AAC, audio track only) -> WAV

The docs say:

"GStreamer can bridge to other multimedia frameworks in order to reuse existing components (e.g. codecs) and use platform input/output mechanisms:

	• Linux/Unix: OpenMAX-IL (via gst-openmax)
	• Windows: DirectShow
	• Mac OS X: QuickTime"

So I expected to be able to do something like what I wanted, since QT can do these conversions, but I can't get it to work. This either means I'm doing something wrong (entirely possible, since I'm new to this) or that I am misunderstanding the purpose of QT in gstreamer. Eventually I'd like to leverage DirectShow in a similar way.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

	bjorn

Bjorn Roche