Use of capsfilter

deepthips deepthips at tataelxsi.co.in
Wed Nov 28 22:00:45 PST 2012

Hi , I am really confused about the use of capsfilter in a pipeline. I
understand it is for setting some properties.

gst-launch filesrc location=sample.ac3 ! ac3parse ! myaudio   ---> will
work.

gst-launch filesrc location=sample.mp4! ac3parse ! myaudio   ---> will give
error saying "Failed to parse stream"

gst-launch filesrc location=sample.mp4!  capsfilter caps="audio/x-ac3" !
ac3parse ! myaudio   ---> (Using caps filter) will give me same error itself

Anyways the pipeline wont allow us to set unmatched properties to next
element right.? Then what is the specific use of capsfilter?