UDP Payloader

Mike Williamson michael.williamson at criticallink.com
Sun Oct 21 09:52:09 PDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Michael Rubinstein
<mrubinstein at rai-dev.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We need to send MPEG Transport Stream packets using UDP with seven TS packets per UDP packet.  Each UDP packet needs to be 7 * 188 = 1316 bytes.
>
> Also the UDP packets need to be transmitted at a constant rate, not in a burst.
>

> The buffers that are produced by mpegtsmux are large.
>

> Is there a way to do this that I missed?
>

> Would it be better to change mpegtsmux , write a “Payloader” or something else?

That's interesting, as I just had to write an element to buffer up the
188 byte packets from mpegtsmux in order to feed a v4l2 driver that
feeds a hardware decoder.  My observation was that the mpegtsmux was
always pushing a single packet at a time.  I had intended to use
v4l2sink but it wasn't buffering the data at all and there were too
many QBUF exchanges for the driver to keep up working 1 packet at a
time.

How are you getting mpegtsmux to buffer the packets before pushing?  I
wonder if it's how mpegtsmux is being fed data...

-Mike

--
Michael Williamson
315-425-4045x230