Cannot view video with VLC

dv dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sun Oct 21 23:36:01 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-22 08:30, Mazahir Poonawalla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any help on this one?
>
> Cheers,
> Maz
>
> On 19 October 2012 15:34, Mazahir Poonawalla
> <mazahir.poonawalla at ideaforge.co.in
> <mailto:mazahir.poonawalla at ideaforge.co.in>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I am using RTSP to stream a video from leopardboard. The streaming
>     works fine on client. I am capturing the stream on localhost and
>     then recording the incoming video to a mp4/avi file. It records
>     well and can be played in linux movie player but it cannot be
>     played in vlc nor I get any video properties.
>
>     My recording plugin is as follows:
>     *gst-launch -v -e rtspsrc location=rtsp://localhost:8554/test !
>     rtph264depay ! filesink location=test1.avi*
>
>     Any help as to what is going wrong. Also just for reference I am
>     using dmaienc_h264 to encode the video.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Maz

You don't mux this in any container. It seems that the result is a raw
h264 bitstream. Perhaps use this instead:

gst-launch -v -e rtspsrc location=rtsp://localhost:8554/test !
rtph264depay ! matroskamux ! filesink location=test1.mkv

Also note that AVI is not suitable for h264 data. Use MKV (as shown
above) or MP4 instead.