vp8enc waiting for EOS

dv dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sun Oct 28 03:22:19 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-28 09:42, David Klasinc wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> this is my command line:
>
> gst-launch-1.0 -e ximagesrc endx=1919 \
> endy=1079 use-damage=false show-pointer=true !  queue ! \
> videorate ! video/x-raw,framerate=15/1 ! videoconvert ! \
> vp8enc end-usage=vbr target-bitrate=1000000 threads=3 ! \
> queue name=before_mux ! webmmux name=mux ! queue ! \
> filesink location="test.webm"
>
> I record for about 10 seconds of the video, then I press CTRL-C and it
> takes more than 20 seconds for data to be flushed on disk and file written.
>
> Is there a way to minimize this time? When encoding with x264 the flush
> is almost instant.
>
> Regards,
> David

I don't have a solution for you, but at least I could reproduce and
isolate the issue more:

The pipeline:

   gst-launch-1.0  -e ximagesrc ! videorate ! video/x-raw,framerate=15/1
! videoconvert ! vp8enc ! fakesink

shows the same problem. In fact, the framerate caps are not even necessary:

   gst-launch-1.0  -e ximagesrc ! videorate ! videoconvert ! vp8enc !
fakesink

behaves the same.

Things I have noticed:
a) removing videorate gets rid of the delay at the end
b) replacing ximagesrc with for example videotestsrc (and using a
capsfilter to simulate ximagesrc sink caps) gets rid of the delay too
c) using ximagesrc with properties endx=10 and endy=10 also gets rid of
the delay