Poor CPU utiization: DM365 and gstreamer

kartik natarajan kartik8n8 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:31:08 PDT 2012

Hi,
    I have constructed a gstreamer application (for DM365) on the lines of
this:
gst-launch -v 'v4l2src always-copy=FALSE num-buffers=800
input-src=composite ! video/x-raw-yuv, format=\(fourcc\)NV12, width=720,
height=480 ! TIVidenc1 codecName=h264enc engineName=codecServer ! udpsink
port=1234 host=xxx'

Earlier the above gstreamer gst-launch seemed to hog up 80+% of the CPU on
the DM365.
So I wrote a gstreamer application and constructed a pipeline v4l2src->
h264enc -> rtph264pay -> udpsink and executed and figured that the CPU
utilization is still the same.

video streaming is just about 40% of my application code so 80% is a very
high share of utilization.

Am I missing something here?
Can I better this performance of gstreamer ?

Thanks,
N.Kartik