Poor CPU utiization: DM365 and gstreamer

Emile Semmes emile.semmes at e6group.com
Sun Sep 9 13:57:42 PDT 2012

On 9/6/2012 6:31 PM, kartik natarajan wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have constructed a gstreamer application (for DM365) on the
> lines of this:
> gst-launch -v 'v4l2src always-copy=FALSE num-buffers=800
> input-src=composite ! video/x-raw-yuv, format=\(fourcc\)NV12,
> width=720, height=480 ! TIVidenc1 codecName=h264enc
> engineName=codecServer ! udpsink port=1234 host=xxx'
>
> Earlier the above gstreamer gst-launch seemed to hog up 80+% of the
> CPU on the DM365.
> So I wrote a gstreamer application and constructed a pipeline
> v4l2src-> h264enc -> rtph264pay -> udpsink and executed and figured
> that the CPU utilization is still the same.
>
> video streaming is just about 40% of my application code so 80% is a
> very high share of utilization.
>
> Am I missing something here?
> Can I better this performance of gstreamer ?
>

> Thanks,
> N.Kartik

Add contiguousInputFrame=TRUE to your TIVidenc1 element.

Also, since this is a TI related plugin issue, you're better off cross
posting there as well. This mailing list is more so for general
Gstreamer issues; you're having a TI-related issue.

https://gforge.ti.com/gf/project/gstreamer_ti/forum/?action=ForumBrowse&forum_id=187

I've seen your posts here and it doesn't look like you've looked at the
TI provided documentation for Gstreamer at all. A lot of us TI
developers have gone through the same issues and have posted solutions
as well. You'd be well off (as well as any other TI developer) looking
at the forum and looking at the TI Gstreamer wiki.

Important links:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Category:DMAI_GStreamer_Plug-In
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/GstTIPlugin_Elements
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Example_GStreamer_Pipelines