hardware video encoding with gstreamer -- any recommendations?

Matt Pekar mpekar at raineyelectronics.com
Mon Sep 17 13:05:25 PDT 2012

What products have you had luck with using for hardware video encoding in
gstreamer or Linux in general?  I've seen the following technologies
offered:

QuickSync
NVIDIA Cuda Encoder
NVIDIA NVENC
ATI
Texas Instruments DaVinci
Blackmagic Decklink

The TI product looks promising, but from what I can see it's meant to be
used more in custom hardware development for security cameras and such, but
I'm looking for more of a general desktop solution.  The TI seems to be the
only hardware product I've come across with good gstreamer support.