Overlapping subtitle buffers

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Mon Apr 1 10:56:57 PDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-31 at 23:15 +0200, Matej Knopp wrote:

Hi,

> I'm not sure if overlapping subtitle buffers are officially supported
> in gstreamer, but given that some containers specifically request
> support for this[1] I'm going to assume so.

It's currently neither handled nor supported.

> This causes some problems
>
> Assuming we have very long subtitle buffers
>
> buf 1 - PTS 0s   Duration 25s
> buf 2 - PTS 50s  Duration 25s
>

> So the output from demuxer should look something like this
> buf 1
> gap (25 - duration 25)
> buf 2

I'm not sure if it *should* look like that. Maybe it should send 25 gap
events with 1 second duration rather than one long one?

Or maybe a muxer could simply assume that for sparse streams it will get
whatever data there is in good time (so it doesn't have to ever
wait/block, or at least not for very long).

Cheers
 -Tim