gi.RepositoryError: Requiring namespace 'Gst' version '0.10', but '1.0' is already loaded

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Tue Apr 2 12:51:10 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 01:23 -0700, Simon Feltman wrote:
> Make sure you have the GstVideo-1.0.typelib installed (from the
> gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 package). The example should also require
> GstVideo 1.0 which would hopefully give a more reasonable error message for
> this situation:
>
> gi.require_version('GstVideo', '1.0')
> from gi.repository import GstVideo
>
> -Simon

Hey Simon,

It turns out I don't have that package installed so good eye. I'll
install it now and I reckon it will probably work. However, having said
that, it raises another issue.

My application executes off of a removable optical media via the
autostart XDG spec. It's designed to rely only on the dependencies most
commonly available on all the major distros. Since a large number of my
user base will probably be using Ubuntu, among others, I just checked
and I came to learn that Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) ships pre-installed
gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-0.10 and the same of Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal).

It's true that the 1.0 package is available in the official
repositories, but the problem is that I want to make it as painless as
possible for the user and not have to do anything, ideally, beyond
popping in the disc. Any suggestions?

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred