problem with RTP jitter buffer

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Apr 11 15:40:36 PDT 2013

I have a problem with the rtp jitter buffer. Delay starts immediately and
builds through the duration of the connection. By delay I mean initially
seconds, quickly building to double digit seconds, not milliseconds. I have
confirmed that if I remove the jitter buffer from the pipeline, I don't
have any latency/delay issues.

Here is my current pipeline: udpsrc -> jitterbuffer -> queue -> depayloader
-> MP2T muxer -> tee -> queue -> udpsink or tee -> queue -> filesink (for
recording).

I am using gstreamer 0.10.30, good plugins 0.10.25.

I have tried all of the modes (0, 1 2) on the jitter buffer with different
behavior. Mode 0 seems to yield be best video quality but the highest
latency. I have tested setting the latency to 100 (ms) and it did reduce
the delay/latency, but the latency did build during the connection, just at
a slower rate.

I have also confirmed this behavior with with gstreamer scripts.

I know jitter buffers can be difficult and contrary. Were there issues with
the earlier versions (2 years ago)? What are some things/parameters I
should look at?

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler