recording uncompressed rgb avi

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Apr 17 11:48:54 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 11:41 -0700, slitcher wrote:

> It seems the last ffmpegcolorspace did the trick but I don't understand why.
> In the command:
>
> gst-launch.exe filesrc name=filesource location=C:/folder/file.avi !
> avidemux name=demux demux.audio_00 ! queue ! decodebin2 ! audioconvert !
> autoaudiosink demux.video_00 ! queue ! decodebin2 ! *ffmpegcolorspace !
> video/x-raw-gray,width=320,height=240 ! ffmpegcolorspace* !  autovideosink
>
> Why do I need both ffmpegcolorspace converter? Removing it will result in a
> pipeline freeze. Is it because autovideosink doesn't have the proper caps?
> Is there anything I misunderstood in the pipeline concept? For instance, why
> a second videoscale is not needed?
>
> In any case, it works now! Thanks a lot for your quick help! :)

Because it's quite unlikely that any video sink actually supports
video/x-raw-gray. The ffmpegcolorspace is there to make sure it works
whatever videosink is actually chosen. autovideosink will not pick a
suitable sink based on the input caps, but will pick the first that
works, and then it's up to upstream to send it a format that's supported
by that sink.

Cheers
 -Tim