RTP Depay Element Caps Negotation

johnwesting john.blank.westing at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 07:23:47 PDT 2013

I have an MPEG4-LATM RTP Depayload Element and don't understand how to set
the output caps for the element. The problem is that the source pad's
capabilities are not known until after I parse and decode a buffer, but the
element is not given a buffer until the after caps negotiation has
completed. If my explanation isn't clear, the following example pipelines
might help:

Broken Pipeline:

gst-launch filesrc location=./example.wav ! wavparse ! faac ! ss1rtplatmpay
! ss1rtplatmdepay ! faad ! alsasink

Working Pipeline:

gst-launch filesrc location=./example.wav ! wavparse ! faac ! ss1rtplatmpay
! ss1rtplatmdepay ! "audio/mpeg, mpegversion=4, rate=44100, channels=2" !
faad ! alsasink

Is there any way I can peek at the sink pad's buffer before caps negotiation
completes so that I can set the source caps of my element?