Problem with playbin and "Missing element: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder"

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Apr 25 10:13:39 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 17:02 +0000, Scott Zollinger wrote:

Hi Scott,

> /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0# gst-launch-1.0 -v playbin
> uri=file:///var/log/small1.mp3
> Missing element: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder

> Any thoughts on where/what to look for to allow playbin to
> automatically set up a stream?   The fact that it can’t detect a
> decoder for the mp3 (even though avdec_mp3 is available) makes me
> think I am missing some setup or setting for the plugins to be
> property register with gstreamer.   Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.

gst-inspect-1.0 avdec_mp3 will show you that it has a rank of 0, which
means playbin and decodebin won't consider it for autoplugging. This is
mostly for historical reasons, we should probably retest and reconsider
this and give this element a rank.

You need to install either the 'mad' element/plugin from
gst-plugins-ugly (note: GPL run-time license), or the mpg123audiodec
element from gst-plugins-bad. Or change the gst-libav source code to
give avdec_mp3 a rank of GST_RANK_SECONDARY or so.

Cheers
 -Tim