Documentation for GST_IS_ELEMENT

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 09:45:33 PDT 2013

On Mo, 2013-04-29 at 07:35 -0700, Wes Miller wrote:
> I know this is a greenest newbie question, but after looking all over the
> Google I jusgt can't find any specific documentation of GST_IS_ELEMENT.
>
>  have an app with a bug deep inside a destructor.  I can't ge it to much
> narrow down the location as single stepping in the debugger and even adding
> print statements seems to alter timings and wash awasy my errors.  So I
> Thought  I'd try using /if (GST_IS_ELEMENT( someelementname ) then
> GstWhatever( someelementname )/.  But I'd really like to understand
> GST_IS_ELEMENT before I dig myself a hole.

GST_IS_ELEMENT(), GST_ELEMENT(), etc are all standard GObject macros for
the specific types. See
https://developer.gnome.org/gobject/unstable/howto-gobject.html#howto-gobject-header
and related documentation.

They basically do what the name suggests, GST_IS_ELEMENT() does a
runtime check if the pointer passed is a GstElement* or one of the
subclasses... GST_ELEMENT() is a cast to GstElement* with a runtime type
check first, and if that check fails the macro returns NULL.