Handling of PCR insertion in mpegtsmux

Marc Olzheim marc at your.tv
Wed Aug 7 03:24:23 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 02:11:08AM -0700, Baby Octopus wrote:
> Marc,
>
> That's a fair point. Either it could be handled at Endoder side or the sink
> side. I still feel it makes more sense to handle it at sinc because of the
> fact that sink needn't worry about smoother streaming which might result in
> unnecessary sinc blocks/wait

Well, that depends on what you deem necessary. Low-latency equipment
may not able to handle the current "bursty" udpsink output. The burstier
it gets, the more delay (and buffering) is needed on the receiving side.

And as said, it seems conceptually wrong to apply internal transport
delays on the PCR. Would that mean that you would want every other
(external) retransmission of the stream to have its PCRs (and thus PTSes
and DTSes) rewritten as well?

Aslo, I think that mangling the PCR for transmission will result in a
lot of PCR jitter in the decoder, while obfuscating this by making the
introduced network jitter undetectable.

Marc