How is GstVideoCropMeta supposed to be used?

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Sun Aug 25 08:42:42 PDT 2013

Hello,

after looking at GstVideoCropMeta, I am confused. I found many sinks
inside the plugin packages that support it, only a couple of decoder
plugins are adding this to GstBuffers. I thought the videoparse element
might work by simply adding this metadata to incoming buffers, but
instead, it copies the pixels from within the crop rectangle.

What would the typical use cases of GstVideoCropMeta be? Is it only
supposed to be used by decoders, in case their decoded frames have
borders or padding? Wouldn't it also be useful to remove black borders
from movies for example?

cheers