Creating GstCaps for "audio/*" mediatype

4ernov 4ernov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 02:24:36 PDT 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to create caps for some common audio stream without
specifying any details to let decodebin and typefind detect the format
and create proper pipeline. List of defined types
(http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/section-types-definitions.html)
says, that "audio/*" is right for it. But when I'm trying to write

GstCaps* audio_caps = gst_caps_new_empty_simple("audio/*");

I receive

GStreamer-CRITICAL **: gst_structure_new_empty: assertion
`gst_structure_validate_name (name)' failed

and it's right as a check in gst_structure_validate_name()

while (*s && (g_ascii_isalnum (*s) || strchr ("/-_.:+", *s) != NULL))

doesn't contain "*" character and consequently consider it as invalid.

The same problem is for other ".../*" types (e.g. "video/*").

Is it something in GstStructure, should I use another notation or such
a general caps simply can't be defined in code?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Alexey Chernov