Encode to OGG is producing poor quality video

Diego listas.diego at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 08:00:11 PDT 2013

I'm using the following command to convert an flv file to ogg:

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=$1 ! decodebin2 name=dec ! queue !
videorate ! videoscale ! theoraenc bitrate=400 ! oggmux name=mux ! filesink
location=$2 dec. ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! vorbisenc
bitrate=160000 ! mux.

$1 is the path to the input file and $2 is the path for the output file.

This command is working without any errors. However, when the output ogg
file is played by HTML5 tag on Firefox, the audio and video streams are not
synchronized. It seems the audio is always behind the video. The audio seems
to be choppy and it breaks all the time. When I play it using Totem Movie
Player 2.28.6, I see the same behavior: audio and video are not synchronized
and they seem to be stopping all the time. I have already played with the
quality option for both theoraenc and vorbisenc. I have set to min and max
values to make sure I have been testing the extremes. But no luck yet.

This command is running on a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7- 8870 @ 2.40GHz with
8GB of RAM.

There is another command running on the same machine to convert an flv file
to mp4:

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=$1 ! decodebin2 name=dec ! queue !
audioconvert ! audioresample ! flumcaacenc header-type=0 ! ffmux_mp4
name=mux ! filesink location=$2 dec. ! queue ! videorate ! videoscale !
flumch264enc max-bitrate=400000 bitrate-mode=2 ! mux.

Here I'm using Fluendo codecs for h264 and aac. The command also runs
without any errors and the mp4 output file can be played fine on HTML5 tag
and on Totem.

What do you think might be happening in this case? Maybe the processor is
not enough for theoraenc/vorbisenc? Am I missing any tunning parameter?

Appreciate your feedback.