LTTng tracing

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Sun Dec 1 02:12:48 PST 2013

On 11/19/2013 04:42 PM, Olivier Crête wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 09:22 +0000, Ikaheimonen, JP wrote:
>> I would be interested in seeing LTTng UST tracing in the GStreamer
>> code.
> Someone has already done it:
> https://github.com/alexander-barabash/gstreamer-lttng/commits/0.10
>
> That said, I think we'd like something more generic. Someone (I think it
> was Stefan Sauer) recently proposed some cross-platform tracing
> infrastructure (purely user-space and GStreamer specific). We discussed
> having some way to re-use the same tracepoints with the different
> frameworks (lttng, dtrace, custom, etc). But I can't references to that
> discussion.

The current state of what I am doing can be found here
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ensonic/gstreamer/?h=tracer
<http://cgit.freedesktop.org/%7Eensonic/gstreamer/?h=tracer>
Feedback much welcome.

I looked into babeltrace a bit (to output traces in the format LTTng
uses). So far they don't have a lot of tools processing the traces :/
Right now I just log into the gst debug log, but thats one of the next
things on the todo list to change. So what do I have right now:
* tracepoints in the gst code base
* 3 plugins that log trace data (log, stats, rusage)
* one front-end to process trace data (gst-stats)

Stefan