Porting the hlsdemux work in issue 698155 to 1.x

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Dec 3 02:57:39 PST 2013

On Mo, 2013-12-02 at 12:51 +0100, Andoni Morales wrote:

> Sebastian, do you think we could use the support for sparse streams in 1.x
> to make all of that easier to handle?
> I was thinking that it could be possible to expose all the pads for the
> streams after parsing the playlist (Video, Audio, Subtitles, if any) and
> than use stream-start stream-stop instead of recreating the decoding chain
> when the topology changes. Would that work?

Not right now, it would need some more API additions and other changes
for that. Also there's no stream-stop event, only a stream-start event
which can contain some metadata (like sparseness).
You will probably need to push enough data on each of these pads to get
one frame decoded.

I think the better solution would be to implement the selection inside
the demuxer and let it only expose one pad for audio, one for video, one
for text. And then let playbin proxy its properties to the demuxer so it
can select the right streams and start downloading them.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com