how to crate pipe if usb sound card support mp3 decoder when using gst-launch?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Dec 3 03:06:58 PST 2013

On Mi, 2013-11-27 at 21:23 +0800, Diaz Soho wrote:

> > To answer your questions, yes that's possible. Does your ALSA driver for
> > that USB soundcard support MP3? Are you using PulseAudio or ALSA
> > directly?
> >

> I use ALSA directly. Do not use PulseAudio.
> I am not sure whether ALSA sound driver support MP3 or not.
> the usb alsa driver is linux kernel built-in(linux-2.6.30)
> how to confirm the issue ? do you have idea?

Basically it would work with iec958 passthrough. Not sure if that is
implemented for any of the USB drivers.

Just try if
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/path/to/mp3 ! mpegaudioparse ! alsasink
works. If it doesn't, it most likely does not support MP3.

> > In general just using playbin without providing any audio sink should
> > automatically let the MP3 be decoded on the soundcard if you use a
> > recent GStreamer version. And a simple
> >   filesrc location=file.mp3 ! mpegaudioparse ! alsasink
> > or
> >   filesrc location=file.mp3 ! mpegaudioparse ! pulsesink
> > for example should work too.
> >

> I use gstreamer v0.10.36.
> do you have idea about whether the version support the function that you
> mentioned?

IIRC it does.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>