Only the original webm file seems to be played properly using playbin

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Dec 4 00:35:50 PST 2013

On Mi, 2013-12-04 at 16:18 +0900, Lasse Laursen wrote:
> Hey gStreamer folks,
>
> While I have another help-me thread going on, this particular problem
> seems to be so base, I thought I'd start another thread as others might
> have encountered this isolated issue.
>
> The topic essentially says it all. I recently installed gStreamer 1.2.1
> and got things up and running using the executable tools as well as
> within Visual Studio 2013.
>
> I've downloaded a few different files .mpg (mpeg-1 I believe), converted
> one to mp4, as well as two different .webm and a .mov file. Only the
> .webm file I found via a tutorial executes and runs well (synchronized
> sound/video and no visual artifacts) using the gst-launch tool (and
> playbin). It also functions pretty ok within Vs2013, albeit a little
> more choppy.
>
> (Src = http://docs.gstreamer.com/media/sintel_trailer-480p.webm )
>
> However - I can't get any of the other files to run properly. The other
> .webm file runs with some serious visual artifacts, as seen here:
>
> http://picpaste.com/gstreamer-9ioJGbJk.jpg

Are you using an NVidia GPU? There seem to be some problems with NVidia
and Direct3D and d3dvideosink that cause problems like this.

Still needs to be debugged by someone with access to such hardware.

> The rest of the files all result in error messages.
> [...]
> Missing element: MPEG-1 Video decoder
> [...]
> Missing element: H.264 decoder
> Missing element: MPEG-4 AAC decoder
> [...]
> Missing element: H.264 decoder
>

> -------
>
> It doesn't take a genius to see that gStreamer is missing the elements
> for decoding these other files. But aren't these supposed to be present
> with the base install? I basically just installed the standard version
> of the gStreamer SDK. Even more confusing is the fact that the webm
> decoder elements can be found, but not the rest?
>
> It's also confusing for me that one .webm file runs and decodes
> seemingly flawlessly, but the other does not?

The missing decoders are all for formats for which you need to get a
patent license from the MPEG-LA, depending on the country you're in and
your legal requirements. WebM (i.e. Matroska with a VP8 video and Vorbis
audio stream) is a free format, that's why the decoders/demuxers for
this are included by default.

You can install the missing decoders if you select them in the
installer, they're listed there as "restricted" codecs. Or just install
everything :)

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com