Cluttersink - ClutterTexture memory leak

Vladimir Caruntu vladimir.caruntu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 08:40:09 PST 2013

Hi,
I am using a pile like: appsrc -> ffmpegcolorspace -> cluttersink
Then at some point I free the pipe, also destroy the texture attached to
cluttersink, and I am opening a new similar pipe, there are situations when
I need to run multiple similar pipes. The application is long running.

The problem, from my research relies somewhere in cluttersink <->
ClutterTexture, if I don't set the 'texture' property to cluttersink (or if
I'm not setting the width and height of texture after the size-change
signal is fired on texture, or if I'm just using fakesink) then everything
is fine, memory is freed.

I understand the slice allocator, maybe not 100% :), but the problem is
that the memory usage grows until it fills up the RAM and the process gets
killed by the system.

I did a basic test source code (using the pipe videotestsrc ->
ffmpegcolorspace -> cluttersink) to demonstrate and to isolate the problem,
please see the link below. It was tested and reproduced on:
- Ubuntu 12.04, gstreamer 0.10.36 and clutter-gst 1.6.0
- Windows 8, gstreamer 0.10.36 and clutter-gst 1.6.0
- Ubuntu 13.10 gstreamer 1.2.0 and clutter-gst 2.0.8 (using videoconvert
instead of ffmpegcolorspace)
Test source code (after ~20-30 minutes the process eats up to 1GB of RAM):
http://pastebin.com/sD1cYrZx

Please help me.
Thanks,
Vladimir Caruntu