Controller Troubles for setting brightness programmatically

Urs Hofer hoferurs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 09:14:14 PST 2013

Am 11.12.2013 um 18:02 schrieb Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>:

> On Mi, 2013-12-11 at 00:13 +0100, Urs Hofer wrote:
>> Dear Tim
>>
>> Indeed, volume works now if I use a bin containing
>> volume and autoaudiosink and attach it to the playbin setting the audio-sink
>> property.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing to gst-inspect: indeed, brightness is not controllable in
>> xvimagesink, so I could try for ages ;). As for sound, it also works if I use
>> the videobalance element before xvimagesink.
>
> You could probably make the brightness (and others) properties of
> xvimagesink controllable. Note that many drivers don't support these
> settings anymore nowadays, especially in texture overlay mode which is
> used on most modern desktops (e.g. it does not work on my Intel GPU in
> GNOME3).

Right now, I'm using the videobalance element in the pipeline. That makes
it a little bit more flexible if i'm using other sinks than xvimagesink (i.e. on
other hardware like the RaspberryPi). I think I'll stick with that.

>> (This raises another question, which would be the fastest, most accelerated
>> way of fading in and out)
>
> Probably something that renders both videos in an OpenGL scene and fades
> them there. However you need to check if your hardware has fast ways of
> providing the video frames as GL textures.

I used gStreamer with openFrameworks, where everything is handled by OpenGL
Textures. There it is quite easy to do fades, but the performance is very bad. So
I switched to a direct approach using GTK and two Overlays and fading with gStreamer.

Best,
Urs