Seeks in demuxers in gstreamer

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Dec 13 11:08:22 PST 2013

On So, 2013-12-08 at 12:22 +0530, satish kumar wrote:
> hi
>

> I have observed that some demuxers( esp oggdemux) are doing  seek to
> get the duration in http playback case. Also some seeks during data
> parsing before first buffer passed from demuxer to downstream
> elements.
>
> This is happening during the pipeline creation for audio/video
> decoding paths. SInce its a flushing seek, flush-start/stop are sent
> from the httpsrc elements.
>

> but by this time, data buffers flow has not yet started. So my query
> is that, is it of any use to send these events to downstream pipeline
> when no meaningful data or events flow has really started flowing in
> pipeline.

Well, no. But it also (usually) shouldn't hurt. However the demuxer
should catch the flush events and everything else caused by the seeks it
has sent upstream itself as in the worst case these events will confuse
downstream. But in the case where no data was received downstream yet
there should be no problem at all here.

> Can they be stopped at the demuxer as they will be coming to demuxer
> in the same thread in which it initiated the seek? Main aim of such
> seeks is check seekability or duration from source.
>

> Also, they are delaying the pipeline creation time.

Delaying how? You mean because the seeking will take some time, and you
don't need the duration information and would prefer that no time is
wasted with these seeks?

Expertise, Straight from the Source